I love Korean meals, they use so many vegetables in the recipes and Korean meals are always healthy!
I learnt some of the tricks from Maangchi.com. She has very good traditional Korean recipes and it’s super fun to watch her video online.
In this post, I’ll just make an easy bibimbap by using some common vegetables that we can find here in Singapore.
Ingredients for 2
(try to add as many color as you can, be creative)
– 1 carrots (for orange color)
– purple cabbage (purple)
– spinach (green)
– cherry tomatoes (red)
– shiitake mushrooms (brown)
– kimchi (white/red)
– eggs (yellow)
– sesame seeds (white)
– sesame oil
– korean chili paste (gochujang )
– korean soybean paste /miso (doenjang)
– cook a pot of rice (1 small cup for 2 person)
2. Prepare Vegetables
– cut carrots and purple cabbage to small stripes and put in separate bowl
– sprinkle some salt on carrots and cabbage, and let it sit for 5-10min. Salt will draw out the moisture from the vegetables. So squeeze dry before stir fried later.
– cut cherry tomatoes to halves,
– cut mushrooms to small pieces
– minced 1-2 cloves of garlic
3. Cook vegetables and fry eggs
– cook spinach in a bowl of boiling water for 1 min, remove and cool it down under cold water. Squeeze dry. Season with some salt, sesame oil, sesame seeds and finely minced raw garlic (1 small teaspoon). Mix well with hand. Cover and keep it aside in the fridge.
– heat up a non-stick pan – toast some sesame seeds and remove when done (2-3tbsp depending on how much you like)
– add some oil to the pan, medium high heat, sauté carrots for 2 min, add some sesame oil when it’s done. (no need salt).
– remove carrots, sauté cabbage the same way or until soften. Remove.
– add little oil, sauté mushrooms and the rest of the minced garlic. Add a little salt and sesame oil when it’s almost cooked.
– fried 2 eggs, sunny side up.
4. Bibimbap Sauce
– 2 teaspoon of korean chili paste, 1 teaspoon Korean soy bean paste, 1 -2 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds, 2 tablespoon of sesame oil – stir them until smooth consistency
- scoop rice into a bowl
- plate the vegetables on top of the rice (remember to take out the spinach from the fridge)
- Checklist : (Spinach, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, cherry tomatoes, kimchi, eggs, bibimbap sauce)
- Sprinkle with the rest of the sesame seeds
- Serve with miso soup or dried seaweed!
- Super colourful and healthy !
To eat, just stir everything up. Like this!
I think I will try to make this when I need to cook for family party of 5-6 pax as it will be easy to prepare vegetables in advanced. Just need to assemble everything and fry some eggs before serving!
Thanks for reading!