It’s creamy, it’s yummy, it’s healthy.
Lots of vegetables and aromatic herbs. Love it.
Suited to western taste as it is not too spicy and it tasted like the Thai curry I had in Germany 😉
Green beans and capsicum Thai red curry, lemongrass steamed rice, purple cabbage salad.
Always make a little extra Thai curry paste to freeze them for later. (Will show you later).
Ingredients for 2 person:
– cumin seeds 1tsp
– coriander seeds 2tsp
– black pepper 1/2 tsp
– salt 1/2 tsp
– 2 Big red Chilies with seeds. (Don’t worry, big Chilies are not spicy.
– ( if you like it spicy) bird eye Chilies with seeds, 2 (mild), 4 (medium), 6 and above (hot)
– ginger, thumb size
– lemon grass 2. Try to cut them very finely first before put in the blender
– kaffir lime leaves 6 pieces.
– coriander stems and roots (yes roots), (wash them thoroughly)
– 6 shallots or just half big yellow/red onions. Keep another half for cooking later
– garlic 6
– shrimp paste 2 tsp (opt this out if you are vegetarian)
– tomato paste 3 tbsp
– coconut oil. Lots of it to help the spicy blend in the blender.
How to make Thai Red Curry Sauce:
– lightly toasted the coriander and cumin seeds on a dry pan over stove.
– put all the above ingredients in a blender and blend them in oil until fine and smooth.
– put the rest of the paste in a zip log bag and freeze it for next time. Simple.
Prep all the vegetables of your choice.
(I use 1 onion, 1 carrots, 1/2 capsicum, yellow pepper and green bell pepper, small bunch of baby green beans). You can also add tofu, button mushrooms, lady fingers, eggplants, green beans, brocolli, cauliflowers, sweet corns.. etc) anything!
You are ready to cook the curry.
1. Put some coconut oil or olive oil in a deep pot, saute onions, carrots and peppers (green, yellow, red) about 5min.
5. Add in green beans and cover and cook for another 3 min.
6. Taste the sauce. Season with 1-2 tbsp of fish sauce (normal soy sauce if you are vegetarian) and 1 tbsp of sugar. Taste again and adjust until it tastes good.
7. Let it boil for another 2 min. Off the heat. squeeze in 1 big lime juice for 2 Pax. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, Thai basil (if u have) and chopped red chilies.
How to use the frozen curry paste?
For the next meal will be so much easier. Just take out the frozen paste (cook under Low heat if you have no time to thaw them) and stir in coconut milk and seasoning.
Enjoy your colourful, aromatic and healthy meal!